Open for Business

Welcome to the city of Belleview. The Belleview Economic Development Council has put together the following booklet to ease the path to prosperity for both new and expanding businesses in our area. Inside, you will find sections covering all of the requirements for operating a business in Belleview and a directory of services provided by the city and other utilities. It is our hope that this will benefit you and your commercial endeavor in our city. We fully believe if our community businesses are successful, our city will be as well.

On behalf of the entire Belleview Economic Development team, thank you.

Michael Goldman
Belleview City Commissioner
Chairman, Belleview Economic Development Council

Download PDF Booklet

Getting Started

Once you have found a location, it is important to contact the City of Belleview for a change of tenancy permit, business tax receipt, and water utility connection.  All three will be necessary before you can open for business.

Business Tax Receipt (FKA Occupational license)

In the city of Belleview, any person or company maintaining a permanent business location is required to obtain a business tax receipt (formerly known as an occupational license.) This includes home-based businesses and any business that provides services within City limits such as mobile businesses and home services. The forms to apply for the business tax are available on the city’s website ( or at City Hall. You will need to provide copies of any state-issued professional licenses and the name of your garbage service.  Business tax receipts are renewed annually prior to October 1st.  Belleview City Hall office hours are 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

“Sec. 78-121. Local business tax required.

No person shall exercise the privilege of carrying on, engaging in or managing any business, profession, occupation or commercial activity for which a local business tax must be paid as required by this article or other applicable laws until such person shall have first paid said local business tax and procured a local business tax receipt as provided for by this article, or any other applicable law or ordinance. Said local business tax receipt shall be issued to each person upon the payment of the amount provided in this article, or as may be otherwise provided for by law and be signed by the city clerk. Any of the following shall be considered prima facie evidence that a trade or business, profession or occupation, amusement or industry is being engaged in within the city of Belleview, for which payment of the tax is required: any sign, advertising, occupancy of a commercial building or property, directory listing or other activity of any nature, indicating that a trade or business, profession or occupation, amusement or industry is being conducted at a location within the municipal limits of the city of Belleview, Florida. It is the intent of this ordinance to impose the tax levied herein on each and every trade or business, profession or occupation, amusement or industry which is subject to taxation by the city of Belleview under F.S. § 205.042, as now in existence or as hereafter amended, or under any successor statute.”

For the full code of ordinances, visit

Change of Tenant Permit

Businesses moving into new locations (rentals or owned) are required to obtain a change of tenancy permit.  This includes existing businesses relocating within Belleview or new businesses establishing their first location.  You can apply for this permit at the Belleview Building Department.  Other building permits may be required if you are making changes to your building or unit (i.e. electric, plumbing, or building permits).  Building Department staff can assist you in determining if other permits are necessary for any work you may plan.  Building permit and change of tenancy forms are available at City Hall and on line (  Renters will need to provide a copy of their lease, or have their landowner sign the application form.  Building Department and Utilities Department staff will review the permit application.  The permit is typically ready to be picked up within a few working days.  Water service can arranged when you pick-up the change of tenancy permit.  You will need to schedule an inspection of the property with the Building Department.  Water utilities and electric must be on for this inspection.  The Building Official will inspect the property to assure it meets public health, safety and welfare requirements – mainly fire safety (fire extinguishers, exit lights, etc) and handicap accessibility (handicap bathroom, handicap parking spaces, etc) requirements.   A business tax receipt will be issued after passing this inspection.

Water Utilities

Some property managers include water and sewer as part of the rent. If, however, you are required to provide water utilities, Belleview Water staff will assist you. You may apply for water service when you pick-up the change of tenancy permit.  The following is a list of fees for deposits and usage.  The entire code of ordinances regarding water and sewer for commercial applications can be viewed via the city’s website or on Municode Appendix B section 5 (

Garbage Service You will need to obtain garbage service for your business.  Some landlords provide it as a part of the rental.  If not, contact commercial haulers in the area to secure service.  The City will ask for the name of the waste hauler (yours or the landlords if provided as part of the rental) as part of the business tax receipt application.


Proper and effective signage is a key element to a business’s success. It informs the public what goods or services your business offers and announces where your business is located.

Once you have found a location, please check with the City of Belleview Development Services department to determine the signage permitted for your area. The city has requirements on what type and size of signs are permitted. The aim of these requirements is to promote a uniform aesthetic for the signs in and around the community. The following is an excerpt from the city’s sign ordinance.

“It is intended that signs placed on land or on a building for the purpose of message display, identification, or for advertising a use on-site, shall be deemed to be accessory and incidental to subject land, building, or use. With respect to signs advertising business uses, it is specifically intended, among other things, to avoid excessive competition and clutter among sign displays in the demand for public attention. It is further the intent of this sign chapter that any use of the city seal or logo on any sign or advertisement must be approved by the City Commission.

(Ord. No. 2008-21, § 1, 10-21-2008)

Construction and maintenance: All signs shall permanently affix on the sign structure or copy face the sign permit number. All signs, together with their parts, supports, braces, guys and anchors shall be properly maintained, treated and/or painted. Unless made of galvanized or non-corroding material, all signs shall be thoroughly painted as necessary to maintain the sign or sign structure in good working condition. No sign structure or framework may be exposed by removal of sign faces or advertising copy for a period in excess of 60 days. Upon request in writing, the Development Services director or designee may allow for an extension (maximum additional 45 days).

Landscaping requirements: Monument, pole, or other freestanding signs (not including billboards) of 50 square feet or more in size shall provide a landscaped area equal to the total sign area to be located around or otherwise adjacent to the sign. For replacement signs surrounded by existing concrete and asphalt, the site plan review committee may allow the landscaping to be located as close to the existing sign structure as possible.

Illumination of signs: All light from any illuminated sign shall be shaded, shielded, or directed so that the light intensity or brightness shall not adversely affect the surrounding properties or the safe operation of motor vehicles on public or private roads, highways or parking areas. Light from or for sign illumination shall also not cause or create a condition that can reasonably be determined to create a nuisance or impede the enjoyment/use of surrounding properties.

Calculating sign area: Sign area shall be calculated based upon the area of sign copy and does not include the structure unless the structure area is part of the copy. In computing sign area in square feet, standard mathematical formulas for common shapes will be used. Common shapes shall include squares, rectangles, trapezoids, circles and triangles. In the case of irregular shapes, straight lines drawn closest to the extremities of the shape will be used. The total sign area will be the area of the smallest common shape that encompasses the several components of the sign. All words and components of a sign or related message shall be included as one sign. Individual words or components may be considered separate signs only if they are obviously disassociated from other components. When signs are enclosed in a border or highlighted by background graphics, the perimeter of such border or background will be used to compute sign area. Wall signs:

  1. No wall sign or supporting structure shall project more than 12 inches from the wall of a building.
  2. No wall sign shall extend above the roof line, except where an exterior parapet wall projects above the roof line, in which case, such sign may extend to the top of such wall.
  3. Wall signs shall not cover upper story windows or architectural ornamentation.
  4. Wall sign width shall not exceed 75 percent of the façade width or unit frontage in multi-tenant buildings. For example: a 100 feet wide single-unit frontage may have a maximum wall sign width of 75 feet.

Double-faced signs that meet the definition contained in this chapter shall be calculated based upon the area of one side (copy area). For example a 4 feet × 4 feet double-faced sign would be counted as 16 square feet, not 32 square feet. V-shaped signs shall be counted as two signs and the combined copy area of all sign area.”

This is just a small sampling of Belleview’s sign ordinance. Contact the City’s Development Services department for additional information or view the code online at


City of Belleview

Main number: 352-245-7021

5343 SE Abshier Blvd., Belleview, FL 34420

Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m.



Mayor and commissioners

Mayor Christine Dobkowski: 352-789-7658

Commissioner Michael Goldman: 352-789-7666

Commissioner Gary Ernst: 352-789-7664

Commissioner Ronald Livsey: 352-789-7659

Commissioner Robert “Bo” Smith: 352-789-7665

Building Permits: 352-233-2105

Business Tax (Occupational Licenses): 352-233-2105

Clerk/Administrator: 352-233-2116

Deputy city clerk: 352-233-2109

Development Services: 352-233-2107

New utility accounts: 352-233-2102

Public Works: 352-233-2110

Zoning: 352-233-2106

Police Department

5350 SE 110th St., Belleview, FL 34420

Non-emergency number: 352-245-7044

Dennis Monroe Public Works Compound

5525 DR 119th St, Belleview, FL 34420



County agencies

Belleview Public Library

13145 SE County Highway 484, Belleview, FL 34420




Marion County Fire Rescue (Station 18, Belleview)

11941 SE 55th Ave., Belleview, FL 34420

Non-emergency number: 352-291-8000



Marion County Tax Collector (Belleview Branch)

Belleview Regional Shopping Center

10445 SE U.S. Highway 441, Belleview, FL 34420




Public Schools

Marion County School Board

512 SE Third St., Ocala, FL 34471




Belleview Elementary

5556 SE County Highway 484, Belleview, FL 34420



Belleview-Santos Elementary

9600 SE U.S. Highway 441, Belleview, FL 34420



Belleview Middle School

10500 SE 36th Ave., Belleview, FL 34420



Belleview High School

10400 SE 36th Ave., Belleview, FL 34420



U.S. Post Office (Belleview branch)

4800 SE 110th St., Belleview, FL 34420



Chamber of Commerce

Belleview/South Marion Chamber of Commerce

5331 SE Abshier Blvd., Belleview, FL 34420


Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.


Electricity companies

Duke Energy




Sumter Electric Cooperative (SECO Energy)

4872 SW 60th Ave., Ocala, FL 34474




Telephone and internet

Brighthouse Networks

10357 SE U.S. Highway 441, Belleview, FL 34420


Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.




3101 SW 34th Ave., Ste. 101, Ocala, FL 34474


Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.




Ocala Star Banner

2121 SW 19th Ave. Road, Ocala, FL 34471




Voice of South Marion

5513 SE 113th St., Belleview, FL 34420




Download PDF Booklet